Saturday, February 11, 2012

The Form Benders, The Sheep In Wolf's Clothing, is in Print!

My book is about to come out in print! I received a phone call from my publisher today and I can't describe the many feelings that washed over me, but I'll try. Euphoria is one!

I have spent my entire life looking for something that I do well and enjoy...and trust me, that's no mean accomplishment! Some of the kids I went to High School with knew what they wanted to do, even back then. Me? I knew I wanted to be an actress or a singer, something in a field where I could be creative. (I'm an artist, poet, writer and singer). When I started writing seriously, after my children were out of high school, I realized that I could use most of my talents in the professional writing arena. So, that's where I chose to focus my time. It took me a year to write The Form Benders, The Sheep in Wolf's Clothing, and another year to get it into print. This has been a long project.

I think most first time authors may think that this is a quick process and that you'll become rich overnight. On the contrary, becoming rich overnight is the exception, not the rule. It takes time...and lots of it! To give you an idea of the time frame I'm talking about, let me explain. I have spent hours pouring over my manuscript. I have read and re-read the book countless times. I read the final draft of the manuscript at least 20 times. Each time I read it, it took at least 2 days to complete it and that's with reading, editing and changing the copy that needed to be rewritten.

When I started writing, I had no idea how time consuming it would be to write a good novel. But even more, I had no idea the amount of time it would take for me to send it back and forth to the publisher, making changes each time it changed hands. I can't imagine having to send the manuscript snail mail! It is a miracle that any books were ever written or published before the creation of the internet! This is the reason that I suggest having someone read and edit your book before you ever send it to a publisher. Because of the time involved in editing and re-writes, it is best if you take the time before sending it to your publisher. I mean, let's face it, we want to cut the time spent in editing as much as possible and get our books out on those shelves! You can't make money if there's nothing to sell.

Suggestions? Do your best! Have a couple of people that you trust read your manuscript, and then listen to their suggestions. If they're good, apply the ones that work for you, and make sure before you send it, that your manuscript is the cleanest it can be. Then, if you want to, and think your story could be better but you're not sure how, send it to a reputable editing firm for their input.

Best of Luck!
And, as always...keep on writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment