Sunday, May 15, 2011

Editing your Manuscript

Hiring a professional to review your manuscript can be costly, yet very helpful in producing a manuscript that a publisher will take note of. Don't cut corners with an unknown editing service, as they can cause more work for the publisher in the long run than if you never had it edited at all. In other words, make sure that your editing service is reputable and will do a good job for you. Don't be afraid to take an editing course to fine tune your writing skills. Educating yourself in the editing process can help tremendously with your writing! In my second book of the series, there were fewer mistakes made and it made the publisher's job, as well as the editor's job, so much simpler.

After writing my book, and the manuscript was accepted, I started editing other people's work. It was amazing how much I learned. Do your best to read, re-read, and then re-read your work again to make certain that it is your best work. I can't stress how important it is to send as clean a manuscript as possible to a publisher for editing. I probably read my manuscript over one hundred times to refine the storyline. Most mistakes I was able to catch before it ever went to the publisher. Even so, there were those I didn't catch. There is no replacement for good editing and I believe that it's a necessity to getting published. Best of luck and keep writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment